"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Day 148 - Bring the Pain

Today I had a wicked case of the DOMS, especially in my legs. What did I do to give myself this world of hurt? Believe it or not, I lowered the weight on my squat in yesterday's workout, and still followed the same set-rep scheme.

So how did lifting 30lbs less weight than last week give me a greater stimulus?

Quite simple. I wasn't squatting deep enough.

As I increased my weight each session lately, I've been also slowly reducing my range of motion. I figured rather than cheat myself out of the whole movement, I'd lower the weight and really get an ATA (arse to ankle) squat.

I now have confidence that I can go that low without hurting myself. So from now on, I'm squatting deep into the pocket!

Get your game face on!

Cheers,
Raiden


M2 Day 30

2 comments:

Mike Groom said...

good job with the squats. I see 90% of people doing squats do only half squats and too light. It takes confidence and good form to go deep, but you reap good rewards when you do. Good job!

Raiden said...

I agree. Probably 90% of the population has naturally strong quads, but in comparison have weak glutes and hams. The deeper you go, the more you have to use your glutes and hams. It's easy to fall prey to not going deep enough because the lift is easy if you only use your quads for a half squat.