"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Day 153 - Quiet Weekend

Well, I missed a few days of blogging, but I don't really have too much to report. Had a decent workout on Friday. Got my regular workout in and then did some "skill" work. I'm trying to get my "kipping" pull-up technique down as well as doing some other work towards developing a muscle-up. The rest of the weekend was quiet.

Today I did however buy myself a workout watch on eBay in preparation for CrossFit workouts. It's the Timex Ironman OVA, which is worn on the side of the wrist, not the top. In this position, it's easy to see the face at all times without having to turn your wrist over. Also in this position, you can avoid inadvertent button presses from a flexed wrist (important when doing certain barbell lifts). It's highly recommended among the CrossFit crowd because it has all the timing functions one needs. The best feature is you can set work/rest intervals on it to do a Tabatas (20/10 work/rest interval training) and has a counter for rounds (I tend to lose track of these things).

I'm also thinking of starting some trail running once the snow melts around here. That might be a while though, but I'm going to try again to build up my running. I haven't had much success in the past due to my back pain, but I've been researching some stuff on technique and am going to try to build up and develop the POSE method. I think this might be the answer for me. I've always done well running on grass in soccer cleats, but could never run on pavement with regular runners. I was probably more likely to heel strike on pavement than I was on grass in cleats. The POSE method is more or less concentrating on landing on the balls of your feet and pulling yourself through the stride rather than heel-striking and trying to push your feet forward. At least that's what I've got out of it so far. They say it can take a while to really build up your calf and feet muscles to handle it, but once you do, the impact on your knees and lower back is significantly reduced.

Get your game face on!

Cheers,
Raiden


M2 Day 35

No comments: