"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Day 164 - First time to CrossFit

Tonight I used up my freebie visit at my local CrossFit affiliate. A common saying among the CrossFit community is "Your workout is our warm-up". Well, I thought I had been doing reasonably well following the CrossFit warm-up on my own, but I had been leaving out the pull-ups and dips since I do weighted ones of those as part of my strength program. They also had us do ring dips which are waaaaay harder, chest to deck push-ups, and "knees to elbows" instead of crunches/sit-ups. That made a world of difference. I was already feeling it by the end of that. I only had enough courage to attempt a very scaled down version of the workout of the day that they did, and it was plenty.

I was planning on doing my CrossFit total (1RM testing of Squat, Press, Deadlift) again tomorrow, but I think after today's workout I'm going to have to push that to Saturday to give me proper rest. Today's workout was like a bonus workout anyway, so I don't feel bad about moving tomorrow's planned workout back. I just know I'm going to be sore tomorrow!

Anyway, I think the workouts are great and I want to jump right in. So I'm changing my plan and I'm going to start doing (scaled versions of) the CrossFit workouts starting next Monday.

Get your game face on!

Cheers,
Raiden


M2 Day 46

3 comments:

KaliLilla.com said...

Cross Fit sounds COOL! There's an affiliate near you that you join for workouts?

p.s. Welcome back - you look awesome!

Anonymous said...

i have looked at crossfit and it indeed is not for the "weak" but will surely make you stronger! nothing like that around here as i am in a very rural area.

Raiden said...

Lilla, I'm lucky to have an affiliate near me, but an affiliate isn't a requisite to do CrossFit. I went just the once so far, but will be going more often now. The workouts themselves are posted on the website everyday, so anybody can do them.

Suzette, the beauty of CrossFit is that it really is for everyone. Everyone is encouraged to scale the workouts and substitute to something that is manageable, but still challenging to them. It's a minimalist program and a lot of the workouts can be done if you have a place to run, a barbell and rack, and a pullup bar.