"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Day 86 - The obligatory fat pants pic and another change up

Well, I'll start off today by saying it was an honour being featured in Adam Waters' blog post today as part of the "ShredderSphere". Back when I started taking my daily pics and lurking on Adam's blog, I never thought I'd come as far as I have and actually become a part of Adam's shredding community. Although I'm not an official member of the Shredder Council or a part of the current weekly accountability group shred, I've been shredding alongside them all and posting daily (since day 52).

Currently, I've switched modes from fat loss to muscle gain/strengthening in preparation for my return to the ice to play in a special hockey game over the Christmas break. So, as part of the strengthening, I've upped my calories and my weight has changed direction and is slowly going up. I figured I should get the obligatory "fat pants" pic done before I put on too much more (hopefully muscle). My lowest daily weigh-in was 133.6 lbs a week ago. Today my weigh-in was 134.8 when I took these pictures:



These pants were a size 32 waist. The new pair of jeans I bought a few weeks ago are size 28. I actually probably could have gone with a 27 in the waist, but my legs were too big.

Today, I also changed up my weight routine. Initially I had been continuing on with the bodybuilding type muscle growth/fat loss 3 set x 8-12 rep x 3 exercise scheme. This has been great for my muscle definition and my fat loss, but isn't the best scheme for building strength and power, which is my focus now, since those are the qualities that I desire as an ice hockey goaltender. This requires different type of exercise-set-rep scheme, honestly, a type that I hadn't really done before. I was kind of stuck in the 3x10 or 3x12 or 3x15 mindset with a lot of isolation exercises.

Well, I'm going to be following the StrongLifts 5x5 beginner strength program, which focuses on compound exercises using heavier weights at lower reps. Even though I've been weight training on and off for close to 8 years now, I am probably still considered a beginner with respect to strength training (which is different from general weightlifting and bodybuilding). As I haven't done some of the exercises in this program in a while, I think it's best for me to follow the beginner program. I'll be using different starting weights once I figure those out, but the idea of progression in weights rather than sets and reps will be followed.

Today was the first day of this new program and I must say, the barbell squats felt pretty good and I concentrated a lot on my form (after listening to Michael's podcast). The pull-ups that I did were probably the most draining on me, but they felt awesome. 3 sets of those, each one to failure.

Anyway, I hope to catch up and reply to some of the comments and to get around to everyone else's blog to comment soon. It's a busy time for me, so everyone keep shreddin'!

Today's pics:

Day 86

2 comments:

stronglifts said...

Thanks for the back link & good luck with the program. I'm confident you'll like it. Contact me if you need help. - Mehdi.

Raiden said...

It's working out pretty good so far and challenging me in different ways than I've worked out in the past. I plan on sticking with it for the full 10 weeks.