"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Day 121 - Strength Goals

I've decided that my primary focus for my mission 2 will be to hit some specific strength goals. But in order to do so, I really need to figure out what I am capable of. Since I've started on the Stronglifts program, I haven't reached the point of failure in any of my exercises yet, and they've all been done as 5x5's. Especially since I started light and am slowly adding weight, concentrating on perfecting form. However, the best indicator of absolute strength is the 1 rep max (1RM). I have no idea what my 1RM's are for all of my lifts, so that's something I need to figure out.

This Friday, I will attempt to determine my 1RM weights for the squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, and maybe the barbell row. I may do the bench and barbell row on another day, as I'm not sure how many different 1RM I can truly figure out in one session as the combination of exercises may fatigure me. But maybe I'll just do them all and make sure I do it in the same order when I re-test again.

This will give me a starting point. I'll then re-test my 1RM's at least once in the middle of my mission, and at the end of my mission.

Well, I must say that starting this new mission has me all pumped up again. I couldn't get to sleep last night because I kept thinking of all the different exercises I wanted to do. I was doing squats and deadlifts in my sleep! I was so wound up with extra energy! I probably would have slept better if I worked out yesterday, but to build that muscle, I really need to try and get my rest! It's hard for me, I'm typically an all or nothing guy, so if I'm working out, it's all I want to do! I just have to remind myself to be patient though. The changes will come as long as I keep doing the right things.

Get your game face on!

Cheers,
Raiden


M2 Day 3

No comments: