"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Monday, January 7, 2008

Day 119 - Mission 2 Kickstart

Hello Fellow Shredders! I'm back and I'd thought I'd start off with my first video:

Return to Form - Mission 2 Kickstart Video




My final milestone of my first mission, playing in a charity hockey game went well and I surprised a lot of my old teammates in how well I played even after not being on the ice for 4 years. Also, over $6000 was raised for the local cancer society from proceeds and donations from the game. Not bad for a small town of about 1600 people. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures myself, but there was a team picture that was taken, but I'm not sure who has a copy.

However, I think I crawled across the mission 1 finish line rather than sprinted. I was starting to fade and get run down. Also, no matter how good shape you are in, there is no true exercise replacement for actually playing the sport, so my body found a lot of aches and pains from the game that it doesn't normally get from my regular exercise program. This shows the importance of changing up your program and cross-training. This meant that my scheduled vacation period really was a vacation rather than the "active" vacation that I initially planned.

Based on this, barring additional events that I can't control the date around, my future missions will be capped at 12 weeks before I allow myself a period of extended rest (at least 1 week).

I'm jumping in on Tea's push-up challenge. In my video I managed 47 in a row before I needed short rests in between. I reached failure at what I now count as 54 (I said 55 in the video, but I miscounted). But whether it is 47, 54, or 55, I think 110 is a good goal to aim for, so that is my pledge. Sounds ambitious, but I know I've been able to do in the 80-90 range before, so I should aim to surpass that. I'll also have to modify my form. After watching my video, I think I had my butt up a bit, and maybe my feet too far apart.

Over the break, without measureing myself, I felt like I gained a lot of fat, but based on the measurements I took today, I essentially maintained my physique. Weight was up a little bit, but out of my fat pinches, 2 were down, 1 was the same, and one went up which overall meant I was down for bodyfat.

My pledge for mission 2 is to continue on the StrongLifts 5x5 strength training program. On Sunday's I will test my push-up strength and post my results. I suspect that doing this weekly along with my other strength training should be sufficient to see gains. Regarding posting, I will post daily, except for possibly some Saturdays (rest days). I will post a daily photo, but have decided for this mission that I will keep it to a single front photo. Don't worry though, I've got a nice surprise lined up for making up for the lack of side/back photos.

Weekly I will post weight and bodyfat measurements. I have taken tape measurements as well, but I'm not sure how often I will post those, either bi-weekly, or just at the end as I'm not sure how much they will change.

My starting stats:
Weight: 135.2 lbs

BF pinches:
Suprailiac: 10 mm
Chest: 7 mm
Abdomen: 14 mm
Thigh: 11 mm

Bodyfat %:
AccuMeausure 1 site (suprailiac): 11.6%
Jackson/Pollock 3 site (chest/ab/thigh): 9.13%
Avg: 10.4%

Fat Mass: 14.1 lbs
Lean Mass: 121.1 lbs

Tape Measure (in.):
Neck: 13.25
Chest: 33.75
L Bicep: 12.5
R Bicep: 12.5
L forearm: 10.75
R forearm: 10.75
Waist: 28.75
Hips: 30
Butt: 35
L thigh: 20.25
R thigh: 20
L calf: 13.5
R calf: 13.5

I still have to work out my specific goals for this mission, but once I get them finalized I'll post them. This mission will run for 11 weeks from now until March 24th.

So, until then,
Get your game face on!

Cheers,
Raiden

M2 Day 1

6 comments:

KaliLilla.com said...

Welcome back Raiden! Your push-up form looks really good. You come down low with your chest, 90 degree angle at elbows. 55 is AWESOME!!!!
Love your video. It's always nice to "meet" people live.

Tearose said...

WOW! Good Job! My goal is to do push-ups like Raiden :D I added you to the push-up challenge. I love all these videos! i thought your form looked great as well, I'm still working on mine which is maybe why I still can't do more then 2 haha...hmm better look into that lol.

Mike Groom said...

Raiden, good to see you back man! Great job with the pushups, you are a pushup machine!

Debbie said...

Raiden, awesome job on the video and especially the push ups! Looking forward to seeing you do 110!!

Debbie

btw: I'm adding you as a shredder on my blog.

Raiden said...

Thanks all for the compliments on my push-ups! Although, I'm not sure if I was a little crazy pledging 110 though. But others were setting goals of doubling, so it only seems fair to aim for that. I just hope that I can put in as much effort as the rest of you!

Adam Waters said...

Raiden is back! Man, you are a pushup machine! Also great to hear about your return to the ice, it is great to use our new strength and condition to play sports that we love. I know I see the difference when I play tennis or golf.
Adam