"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Day 139 - Q & A

Today I thought I would answer Lilla's questions in my post since they were some really good ones that I kind of wanted to talk about at some point anyway.

I'm curious about stronglifts - when you start, you don't chose weights for failure on each set 5 x 5?

When I started stronglifts, there were a few exercises that I hadn't done ever or in a while. Mainly, the deadlift and barbell squats, which are also ones in which you can injure yourself more easily if you have poor form and lift heavy. I started out with an empty bar and worked my way up in weight while concentrating on form. Since you squat 3x a week on this program, if you add 10 lbs each session, it doesn't take long to build up to a decent weight. If you're comfortable in the exercises, you would go to a slightly different program and use weights closer to your maximum. Most programs of this type recommend a basic 2-3 week strengthening phase using sub-maximal loads before you hit a maximal workload.

How did you up your calories %wise per macro? Do you eat differently on workout days vs. non-workout days?

My calories pecentage wise changed a little bit. Before, when I was on my initial fat loss stage, I aimed for about a 30/15/55 protein/fat/carb split. In order to get enough calories in for a bulking plan, the main thing that I did was allow myself more fats, since it is a good way to get the calories in. Also, some saturated fat is good because it stimulates your testosterone levels, which is anabolic. I also didn't increase my carb intake as much as the others. I think that my ratios are somewhere around 30/25/45, but it's hard to say exactly as I no longer log my food or count calories. I just try to eat a lot! If I overeat on anything, it's meat. I figure I need all the protein I can get.

I eat slightly differently on workout days to account for my workout nutrition. On non-workout days, I eat 6 meals, and incorporate meal tapering. My last meal is more of a bed-time snack which is a casein protein shake with a serving of fat, which has lately been either Udo's mixed in the shake or almond butter on celery sticks. I try to have minimal carbs in this snack. My pre and post-workout nutrition on workout days is strictly protein and carbs. I try to have as little fat as possible in these, and they are smaller. There might be 2-4 grams that sneak in, but I don't conciously add a fat source. These are usually meals 4 and 5 for me, then I'll have meal 6 about an hour or so later, and then finish with my bedtime snack (meal 7). Because of this, my workout days might be lower in fat content and might be more like a 35/15/50 split. The total calories per day probably don't vary much because I feel it is just as important to feed the muscle the day after a workout.

There is a good chance that I'm not making the leanest gains possible, but I am now fully accepting that some fat is going to be put on. What I'm doing is giving me results that I am happy with, so until I see large fat gains and little muscle gains, I'll continue on.

Thanks Lilla for the great questions!

Get your game face on!

Cheers,
Raiden


M2 Day 21

2 comments:

KaliLilla.com said...

Thanks Raiden! Well, what you're doing is certainly working. Your pictures look awesome. It's hard for my mind to grasp that you can get great results from only 4 exercises 3xs/week. Are you doing any cardio - steady or HIIT? How much did you say the olympic bar alone weighs? Thanks for all the good info!

Raiden said...

The trick to those 4 exercises per session is that they are all large compound movements that allow you to move the most weight, and thus do more total work. Today I did weighted dips with 25 lbs, which means I'm moving almost 165 lbs (bodyweight, weight, clothes). If I did tricep kick-backs, I could probably only do it with 15 or 20 lbs. Even doing triceps hammer curls I can only do about 50-55 lbs. I put my arm through roughly the same range of motion with all those exercises, but the dips come out as 8x+ more than kick-backs, and 3x+ more than tricep curls.

I do only a bit of cardio at the gym, just 2-3 sessions of 20 min steady state per week right now. I found before when I did HIIT, it would just gas my legs and since I'm squatting 3x a week, it wouldn't give me enough recovery if I was hammering my legs on non-weight days. If you really want to build muscle, you really need to let them rest and recover completey.