"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day 129 - What's in your grocery cart?

Today while I was at the grocery store I ran into an old buddy who just happened to be in town for a bit. I saw him a little over the Christmas break, but we didn't really get a chance to talk. The first thing he said to me was, "you're eating healthy!" I think the giant stalk of celery sticking out of my baasket gave it away. He then jokingly pointed at someone else's cart and said, "they're healthy too, eh? Look at all those Pizza Pops!" That person had about 6 cartons of them in their cart along with an assortment of other garbage food. For those that aren't familiar with Pizza Pops, they are the epitome of North American convenience food. Pepperoni and cheese mixed with a preservative filled tomato sauce inside a white flour pocket that is microwaveable and ready in minutes.

He then went on to say how good it was to see me all slimmed down and eating healthy. This meant a lot more to me coming from him. I've known him longer than I can remember and he's a good honest person. He's also the one from our town who was known as the big gym rat and we spent a lot of time at our gym together. He was always the stereotypical ectomorph growing up. Skin and bones. But he made a big transformation after his final year in high school and packed on a lot of muscle. He did his research and made a big commitment to his workouts and his nutrition and he made great gains. If you didn't know him when he was younger, you wouldn't believe that he was as skinny as he was growing up. But he made a plan, stuck to it, and got great results.

But it all starts with the grocery cart. You really can tell a lot about a person by what's in their grocery cart. Now, I know that when embarking on fitness missions such as these, that your best measuring stick is yourself. But I always like to play the "am I the healthiest person in this line?" game at the grocery store. It's a fun little game to play when you're right beside all those impulse sweets right by the register. I know they say that you shouldn't feel good at other people's expense, but I enjoy the victory of putting my fresh organic veggies on the converyer belt behind someone with their bags of potato chips and (soda) pop. Does that make me judegemental? Elitist? Snobbish? Possibly, but it does make me feel good about making healthy eating choices.

So here's what was in my cart today when my friend complimented me on my healthy eating:
skim milk, Low fat Triscuits (whole wheat crackers), organic steel cut oats, egg whites, whole wheat hamburger buns, organic baby spinach, low fat (4% MF) probiotic cheese, strawberries, herring, celery, green pepper, blueberries, cucumber, fresh Atlantic salmon, and a box of clementines.

How does this compare with your lists? Are you the healthiest person in your grocery line?

Get your game face on!

Cheers,
Raiden


M2 Day 11

4 comments:

KaliLilla.com said...

haha! I play the "am I the healthiest person in this line?" game too! I just try not to let the other person catch me looking!

Mike Groom said...

Yeah, you gotta wonder why we are becoming obese as a society don't you? Too much reliance on quick and easy!

Debbie said...

I look too at what's in other carts and check out if they're in shape too! I can't help it. I do that instead of reading the tabloid magazines! I'm sure my cart is being scoped out also!

Debbie

Raiden said...

Lilla, I'm glad I'm not the only one that plays that game!

Mike, as a student, I used to eat a lot of the quick and easy. It meant I had more time to study and socialize. But there's just so much garbage in foods with ingredient lists that go on forever. I've felt a lot better since I've cut/reduced those type of foods.

Debbie, I'm able to tune out the candy and chocolate, but thoese tabloid headlines just scream at me! It's fun to match the food to the physique as well, but painful at times when you see the very obese loaded up with junk food. At the same time, it's uplifting seeing the same loaded up with healthy food, but it's a rare sight. If anything you see them loaded up on fad diet food instead of the good natural basics.