"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Monday, January 28, 2008

Day 140 - A bit of fat

Today was another fat pinch day, so here are the results:

M2 Week 3: 2008-01-21 to 2008-01-28
Weight: 137.23 (+0.90)
Suprailiac: 10 mm -> 11.6% (no change)
Jackson/Pollock chest/ab/thigh: 8/14/11 -> 9.44% (+0.31%)
Avg BF: 10.52% (+0.12%)
Lean Mass: 122.79 (+0.64)
Fat Mass: 14.44 (+0.26)

Well, this week showed some bigger gains, both in the lean mass and fat gains. Although I think the fat gain has more to do with the "jump" from the caliper measurement due to it's limited precision. I think it's been more of a slow fat gain so I think it's safe to say that the fat gain has been more a result of the past 3 weeks in total rather than just the past week. Unless I see a similar fat gain in 2 consecutive weeks, I won't change anything up.

The lean mass gains look promising though, although I'm skeptical about how much is actual muscle. The latest protein powder (Nitro-Tech Hardcore) I got has some creatine in it. I wasn't looking for creatine specifically, it was just that this particular protein powder was on sale, so it was a good deal at the time. The amount of creatine in it is no more than 2 g per serving (probably really closer to 1 g). This is smaller than what they recommmend people usually take (I think anywhere from 3-10 g/day is recommended), so people specifically wanting to use creatine wouldn't get enough from this protein powder, but I think it is enough for me to see some of the increased water retention that is associated with it. I probably won't know for sure until after I go through the two tubs (they're 4 lbs each and it was buy one, get one 50% off) and then flush all the excess creatine out of my system. That might take a while though. Until then, I'm making sure I drink a lot of water, even more than I was before!

Get your game face on!

Cheers,
Raiden


M2 Day 22

2 comments:

Adam Waters said...

I definitely see a difference Raiden, like you are "squaring up" on your face and pecs. The great thing is that your BF is so low you can afford a slight increase to pack on the muscle. Which prog are you following?
Adam

Raiden said...

Just following StrongLifts 5x5 beginner strength. It's a real basic program, essentially a 2-day split, 3x/wk.

Day 1: squat, overhead press, deadlift, weighted pullups/chinups

Day 2: squat, bench press, barbell row, weighted dips

Rinse, lather, repeat, adding weight each session (even just a little bit).

My goals are actually strength first, size second, so this program isn't optimal for size gains, but they do come along as "positive externalities".