"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Day 2, 3, 54 - New Week, New Routine

Today was the first day of the new week, and the first day of my new routine. Previously I was on a 3-day split for weights, which meant I was hitting each body part once a week. I was doing HIIT cardio on days that I did weights as well. In addition to that, I was playing Ultimate Disc (frisbee) for about an hour 3 times a week, which I counted towards my cardio (lots of running). So I essentially had cardio sessions 6x a week, and weights 3x. Since my primary goal is fat loss and muscle maitenance at the moment, I found it was working decent for me.

However, as of last week, frisbee season is over. It's now too dark to get a game in the evening, and the other league that I played in that had a lit field finished up as well. It's more of a summer sport since it's played outdoors, and once it gets cold out, the activity tends to wind down.

So, this means I have to re-tool my exercise program to make up for the lot cardio that I was getting from frisbee. I aslo think that it might be time to go for a 4-day split, 4x a week for weights, adding an extra exercise for the large muscle groups. I think the 4-day split might have to wait until next week, but this week my goal is to get to the gym for 3 additional cardio only sessions in addition to my regular 3x cardio/weights sessions.

Today I got in my first HIIT cardio only session in. I upped the level on the ArcTrainer for the first 10 minutes from my normal level 5. I wanted to do level 5 for the whole 30 min. session, but I wasn't quite feeling it and figured I didn't want to blow my legs out too much since that's my Monday workout. Baby steps, baby steps. Slowly adding a few more minutes at a higher level is a better plan.

Anyway, here are today's pics along with my catch up pics from Day 2 and 3

Day 2


Day 3


Day 54

2 comments:

Otter Christy said...

Hi there! Just popping by to say hello. Thanks for coming by my blog and your kind words relating to life's little setbacks. You're right, we all have our own "walkers" we gotta ditch. I like the walker as a metaphor better. lol

I'm confused in your blog about which day is which. I've been reading and skimming. I think that using your own measure of success (other than photos) is also a good thing. And I think frisbee is a really cool cardio exercise. It's a shame about the weather.

I'm looking forward to the next mission, but first I gotta finish this one. Bye for now.

Raiden said...

Hi Christy,
The days are confusing, I admit. I started my own mission, solitary, back in September where I was taking daily picutes. I just started the blog this past Friday after following the shredder council and seeing the community and support you guys have been building. So to use Adam's progressive discipline, public accountability is now a new part of my program.

Anyway, rather than putting my whole back log of photos up at once, I decided to slowly catch up by putting up 2 old days along with the new days. I might change this as it is kind of confusing. I might just make a post with all the weekly pics up to my first blog date and continualy update that post with weekly pics and stats.

I also have my "Speedbump" series which are separate posts and are going to document everything that slowed me down from High School Athlete of the Year to my Day 0 start.