"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Speedbump 1: Burnout

This is a continuation of my story documenting the parts of my life that have brought me to Day 0, when I decided to change my daily habits for life, and for the better, to ultimately achieve my goals of reaching the best shape of my life, being fit and healthy, and full of energy. For other posts, see the rest of my story.

My Grade 10 year in high school was perhaps the busiest I had ever been. Fall was filled with golf and soccer as usual, but by the time winter rolled around, I found myself on two hockey teams, as well as the varsity basketball team. Most schools around here limit a single persons athletics to a single team, but our school was small. Our basketball team lacked numbers, and our high school hockey team lacked a goalie. Between 2-3 practices and 1-2 games a week per team, I was so busy that I barely ever had a day off, and it was impossible to make everything because of schedule conflicts. My town hockey team took first priority, but alas, the girlfriend I had for all of 3 weeks was probably at the bottom. I guess that's why it only lasted 3 weeks. It's not like I could blow off a game and let a whole team down just to hang out with her. Girls just don't understand...oh, those wonderful teenage years.

Well, during this period of my life, I never suffered any major injuries, but it was about a 6 month stretch in my life that left a mark. I was young and reckless and felt like I was in great shape. I didn't realize it at the time, but I had burned myself out. I hadn't given myself a chance to let my body rest and recuperate. I probably blew my chance of hitting my goal of reaching 5'6 too. I wasted too much of my energy on sports, and not enough on growing! Well, given my genetics, I don't even think 5'6 was in the cards for me, but a little guy can dream, can't he?

2 comments:

Otter Christy said...

Wow! That is a lot of sports. I totally relate to burnout. For me, I played in three different orchestras and on the Academic Games team and a few other mathlete-like teams and a job at the bookstore. Although, you may have had more than a few of those as well or at least a slew of tough classes. Just guessing since you have an engineering background. :)

Raiden said...

Yeah, I did a lot of the Mathlete type stuff as well, but not as much in Grade 10. That year I did play guitar in the pit band for our school's production of "Grease". I did the Math competitions, Reach for the Top (School Jeopardy-like quiz tournaments), Student Council, peer tutoring, peer mentoring, and other eager beaver over-achiever type stuff. Sports was always 1st priority though :)