"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Day 64 - Pizza can be a part of a shredder's diet

Ok, well, I know the most extreme shredder's and bodybuilder's might not agree or just stay away from pizza in general, but I made one tonight with my girlfriend and had a couple slices, and I don't think I strayed too far from my regular nutritional intake. I've eaten a lot of pizza in my day, but I think this one came out a lot better than the other ones. I think the biggest culprits are the frozen pizzas from the grocery store. They all seem to be loaded with salt and saturated fat, even the ones with chicken breast!

Well, here's what we did to make ours. First off, we started with a pre-made frozen crust with the sauce already on it. The kind we get have nearly fat-free dough (0g per serving, which really means < 0.5g) and are fairly thin. Now, it wasn't the whole wheat kind, which you can get and would have been better, but it just tastes a bit too funny for my girlfriend. The next step, was loading it up with big chunks of chicken breast. Then on top of that was loads of veggies - sliced mushroom, green and red pepper, tomatoe, green and red onion, piled nice and high. This was all topped off with some low fat mozza cheese.

Now, this may not be exact, but this is a rough estimate of what I think the numbers are for 1/4 of a pizza, which is what I ate:

Protein: ~30g, 120 cal
Fat: ~ ~7g, 63 cal
Carbs: ~60g, 240 cal

which brings the total meal in at 423 cal in a 28/15/57 protein/fat/carb split which is pretty close to my aim of 30/15/55 and just a little over my 400 cal meal threshold. I think that's pretty good for a pizza, which I made and ate without really measuring or thinking about the macronutrient ratio or total calorie intake. I think I don't even have to count it as a cheat meal, maybe half of a cheat meal? It's hard to think of pizza as being a good meal. It's funny, it seems to be one of the stereotypical bad foods. It's made several appearances on the Biggest Loser as an "evil" food. Well, I guess it probably was for me when it was the sausage, hamburger, pepperoni meat pizza, no veggies, and washed down with a half dozen beer.

I think this one was pretty good, either that or I'm rationalizing it to myself by writing this. What do you guys think? If anything though, the dough was probably a bit high on the GI, but my muscles and body were pretty starving since I left a bunch of me on the gym floor just a short while before that working my butt off on my HIIT workout. To top that off, the HVAC system was out in the cardio room, so the air was pretty thick and warm. It made breathing really tough and sapped the energy even more, but I still managed to get through my target levels.

Here's today's pics:

Day 64

1 comment:

Otter Christy said...

I think even a regular slice of regular pizza could be on a shredders diet. And this pizza definitely.
Sounds really good.

Way better than peanut butter on corn. Although suddenly I'm curious about that one as I type it. lol