"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Day 57 - Goals, written and actual

Today my girlfriend and I had a little talk after our workout session and it got me to thinking about what my goals really are. As a engineering guy, numbers were initially a big part of my goals, what I had written down when I started. I like numbers. I really saw this whole body transformation process as a really big lab experiment, except that the sample size was one, my own body. So the daily photos, daily weigh ins, calorie counting is just data collection. Throw it into a big pile, examine it and determine what the results are. If they aren't quite what was expected, tweak, adjust, take notes, all the while still collecting the data.

I guess I really got caught up in all the numbers, the calculations, and the plotting of my progess graphs. These are the tangible results, the quantitative goals.

Ultimately, when I started this trek, it really wasn't about the numbers, it was really only about one thing, getting healthy. Well, plus the fact that I was really sucking wind when I played frisbee in the summer... I had a lot of bad habits that needed changing. I've done a pretty good job changing a lot of them. I no longer eat a whole box of crackers at a time. I no longer feel like I have to eat every last bit of food on my plate when I go out to eat. I actually eat meals now instead of just continuously snack on junk food. I'm eating a lot more fruits and vegetables. I have more energy during the day, and I don't crash and burn after the sugar rushes. I'm happier and more productive at work. I enjoy eating healthy now.

I know I wrote down overall health as one of my goals, but for a while I guess I forgot to even think about it. Now I have, and it feels good.

Anyway, back to the data collection portion!

Catch up pics:
Day 8

This is the day I accidentally smacked my camera onto the ground from the counter it was sitting on. It hasn't worked since...Thankfully, I had my girlfriend's on hand and have been using it since (thanks babe!)

Day 9


Day 57



Get your game face on!

No comments: