"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Day 72 - Getting Ready for Carb Cycling!

Workout today was chest and triceps. Warmed up on the bike and then cooled down on the elliptical after the weights.

I'm going to make this a short one since it's getting late for me and one of my new goals is to try and get to bed earlier and get more quality sleep. My biological clock wakes me up at the same time every day pretty much, whether I go to bed at 2 or 3 in the morning, or at 11pm. The difference between the two is the quality of sleep and how I feel later in the day. When I wake up I'm generally refreshed, but I feel the effects by the evening if I didn't get enough the night before.

I spent some time today planning my attack for the final 4 weeks before I hit my milestone 1 deadline. I'm pretty sure I'm going to reach my goal before that, but there's no harm in me going for exceeding it! I plan on finally incorporating some moderate carb cycling into my program for 4 weeks. I don't think I'm particularly carb sensitive and have always thrived on high carb diets before given my previous high activity levels. Anyway, my plan is as follows:

Sunday - Low Carb w/ HIIT, abs
Monday - High Carb w/ weights, ss* cardio
Tuesday - Low Carb w/ weights, ss cardio
Wednesday - Low Carb w/ HIIT, abs
Thursday - High Carb w/ weights, ss cardio
Friday - Low Carb w/ weights, HIIT
Saturday - Free, Rest

*Steady State

The idea is that I'll be hitting the HIIT workouts at my low points, since the HIIT workouts are the ones that burn the most fat as long as I'm not drained. This is a more moderate carb cycling, but I really do thrive on carbs (currently 55-60% of my cals), so I think it would be tough for me to go more than 2 days on low carb and I'd probably end up binging real bad on whole packages of rice cakes, triscuits, and baked tostitos.

Wow, not so short anymore...

Ok, here's today's pics:

Day 72


2 comments:

Michael said...

Raiden, sounds like a good plan. From experience, just watch the energy levels at the end of the low carb cycles in your week. I personally go High, Low, Low, High, Low, Low, Low and I can tell you that at the end of three low days in a row I have an energy deficit that I have to deal with.

Raiden said...

Yeah, that's why I decided not to go for 3 low days in a row. If I have to adjust it more, that's fine with me. I'm doing ok with just normal eating everyday, I'm just looking for a little something extra that might get those last few pounds around my belly. Also, my low carb is probably more like someone's moderate carb. I'm looking to hit between 40-45% of my cals on low days instead of 50-55%.