"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall." - Vince Lombardi

Monday, November 26, 2007

Speedbump 3: A life changing discovery

This is a continuation of my story documenting the parts of my life that have brought me to Day 0, when I decided to change my daily habits for life, and for the better, to ultimately achieve my goals of reaching the best shape of my life, being fit and healthy, and full of energy. For other posts, see the rest of my story.

I first starting really following a regular workout program after hockey season had finished up in my Grade 12 (final year) of high school. I had done a little bit of lifting here and there, and knew the basics regarding reps, technique, breathing, rest periods, and progression, but I didn't make it a regular thing until then. Mostly because I was young, still growing, didn't have the time, and didn't feel like I needed them. That all changed with the onset of my back problems. It was now necessary for me to make a commitment to strengthening my back muscles, and the rest of my body to support everything.

This however, wasn't my life changing discovery.

This is perhaps the hardest thing for me to write about and I still think that there's a part of me inside that is still suffering from denial. I don't know if I've ever fully accepted this, but I've been slowly learning to live with it. At the time though, I was riding an emotional roller coaster. I was finishing up my senior year at high school, enjoying the last bit of time I had together with my class before we all went our separate ways.

About a week before our grad class was to go on our class trip canoing down a river for a few days, after I had spent some time getting tests done at what seemed like unnecessary hospital visits, I was told that I had ulcerative colitis. I had never heard of it up to that point, but hearing the phrase "chronic disease" didn't do much for me. I was prescribed medication and rest. Rest, as in, you really should skip this class trip of yours that involves 3 days of paddling and sleeping on the ground. I was crushed. I refused to give up on the class trip and without really understanding what was going on with my body, I demanded to go anyway. The doctor's of course didn't recommend it, but said they couldn't stop me, but warned me that it would set back my recovery time.

I went on the trip, and had one of the best times of my life spending the days paddling down the river in a canoe with all my friends that I had grown up with since pre-school. It was only after this, and all the graduation ceremonies, that I would have to focus on my newly discovered affliction.

If you don't like to read about poop and bottoms and such, skip the next paragraph.

Ulcerative colitis is an auto-immuno disease affecting the gastrointestinal system, in that it is the body's response to rid itself of some foreign body or toxin, that isn't really there or really a threat (much like allergies). This causes inflammation of the bowels that is triggered often during times that the body is put under stress. Usually, the first sign that is recognized is blood in the stool. This inflammation can be put into remission and the symptoms will subside with medication and rest (and removal of the stress). It is similar and related to Crohn's disease. Both are classified as Inflammatory Bowel Disease, which is not to be confused with Irritable Bowel Syndrome which is only symptomatic. The only difference between Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis, is the part of the GI system that is affected. Crohn's is found in the stomach itself, while Ulcerative Colitis is found in the large and small intestine. The biggest problem with these diseases, is that when the tissues are inflamed, then they are unable to absorb all the nutrients that the body needs that it gets from normal digestion. For this reason, when the first flare up is exhibited, weight (not specifically fat) loss is usually one of the signs. The other side of that, is that since the body isn't getting all the nutrients it needs, one usually also suffers from chronic fatigue.

By the end of the summer, through rest, some strength training for my back (I had also started massage therapy), and medication, I had my condition somewhat under control, but I still didn't fully understand what it was doing to my body. I wasn't doing everything that I was supposed to such as avoiding alcohol and fatty fried foods, eating small meals, taking all my medication, getting plenty of sleep, and avoiding stressful situations. I was starting University in the fall, so I had that adventure to look forward to, but my life had to shift focus from sports, to taking care of my health. This wasn't something that was going to happen overnight, especially for the athlete that was most known for his reckless abandon, sacrificing his body to stop that puck or baseball, diving in the air to keep that ball from going out of bounds, and slide tackling guys twice his size.

2 comments:

Sammy said...

Hello raiden! Hey just wanna say you actually look like a 12% to me. I haven't read your post about how much you measure on the Accu but you look somewhere around 12.

And japanese canadian! Man, I love Japan, All things Japan actually! Anime, food (omg sushi), toys...

KaliLilla.com said...

Raiden,
Just read your story. Sounds like the same story as Jordan Rubin. Are you familiar with him and his company Garden of Life?
http://www.gardenoflife.com/wol_books_restore_health.shtml